Friday 20 April 2018

The UPA Horse

For a few cartoons early in its theatrical life, UPA opened with a horse with a tartan. I presume the tartan was on a background while the body of the horse was transparent on cels.

Here’s the horse turning around and sitting. It then sprouts a gloved hand.



Here are two consecutive frames.



The hand disappears. The horse sprouts wings and flies out of the scene.



Bill Hurtz may have come up with the horse as he was designing cartoons at the studio at the time. I won’t venture a guess on the animator. And, no, I can’t tell you if this is a real Scottish tartan. It’s safe to say it’s not from Clan Bosustow.

2 comments:

  1. Looks to me like its two guys under a tartan (note the human legs), than an actual horse. This would also explain the arm and hand that appears from underneath. Its anybody's guess regarding the wings, though.

    Regardless, its a charming intro. I like this one and the three musicians opening used on the "Ham and Hattie" cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, a vaudeville horse never dawned on me, but I think you're right.

      Delete