Monday 25 July 2022

Signs of Peace and Quiet

Tex Avery’s last theatrical cartoon is a disappointment. He once again re-visits the “don’t make noise” theme which he put as the premise of his previous cartoon, the fine and funny The Legend of Rockabye Point.

I believe Sh-h-h-h-h-h is the only cartoon which credits him with the story (Mike Maltese had left him to go back to Warner Bros.).

There are plenty of signs-in-lieu-of-speech gags. This little sequence is self-explanatory.



The problem with Avery’s story is the staff at the Swiss hotel in this cartoon have gone to obsessive lengths to keep everything quiet. So why is it they don’t do anything about the cacophony in the room next to the little guy?

Don Patterson, La Verne Harding and Ray Abrams are the credited animators.

3 comments:

  1. I dislike that cartoon myself, the ending was especially awful. Such an underwhelming conclusion to an extraordinary career in theatrical cartoon animation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always kinda liked this one myself. Even sprung it on a large audience (well, 70 or so) at a Laurel & Hardy screening. Didn't go (sigh!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see where this cartoon might be off-putting to some, but it's precisely because of its strangeness and bizarre humor that I love it so. A very fitting send-off for Tex, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete