Sunday 19 August 2018

A Little Note of Thanks

There’s a link on the side to a blog authored by a young man named Kamden Spies. Every two or three days, he’ll post about things connected with animation that he enjoys ferreting out in old newspapers and other sources.

Kamden put up a Top 15 list of “Best Websites for Animation Lovers,” and he has picked this blog (and our companion blog) as number two. That’s very kind of him.

I certainly wouldn’t rank either blog that high. The Yowp blog, if you read it, has a very, very narrow focus. I happen to like the stock music in the original Hanna-Barbera cartoons and I set out to try to identify it. The blog has expanded from that and, to be honest, has just about run its course. This blog doesn’t even deal with animation all the time; you’ll notice posts about old radio and TV shows and stars from contemporary sources, pretty much of the comedy/variety vein. It started as a place to put up frame grabs (like the one from an Iwerks cartoon on the right). I haven’t done much here all year, to be honest. In January, I banked almost a full year of posts through to Christmas. My personal life isn’t allowing me the spare time to post.

Neither blog is terribly weighty. Other people are better at that kind of thing.

It’s a shame that a number of blogs I used to read have fallen by the wayside. David Gerstein always seems to have found information no one else could about some early cartoons. Andrea Ippoliti posted some fine reviews of old cartoon shorts that I occasionally go back and re-read. That’s just to name two blogs that are no longer active.

Kamden has named Jerry Beck’s Cartoon Research as the number one. I’m really not a list person, but I’d probably rank it there, too. I’m not interested in all the topics on it, but someone else will be, so there’s a nice eclectic mix. And I enjoy any posts involving actual, dig-around-and-find-it, cartoon research where I can learn something about a studio or someone who worked in the industry in the olden days.

This gives me a chance to thank all those people who take the time to post about the animation industry for all to read (for free!) and Kamden for his nice thought.

4 comments:

  1. Over the past two decades or so I have had several favorite websites I visited daily. Many of those are no longer active or do not update regularly. I now have only three I visit daily, those are “Cartoon Resource,” “Yomp” and “Tralfaz.” Of course, “CR” has several contributors dealing with various areas of animation. On the other hand, “Tralfaz” and “Yowp” are posted by a single blogger. My favorite is “Yowp,” because I’ve been a fan of early H-B all the way back to Huckleberry Hound and The Flintstones. I admire any individual who maintains a blog on a regular basis, let alone two. I just want to thank you for all the fun and interesting pictures, articles, reviews and other info you’ve posted about the classic H-B cartoons these past 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas Gracias!!!๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡พ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฝ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡พ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ป๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡พ๐Ÿ‡ป๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿค“

      Delete
  2. YOWP and TRALFAZ are my top 2 animation sites to visit daily, in that order. You've singlehandedly given the most in depth history of the Hanna Barbera cartoons with an emphasis on the early years (which in my opinion were the best the studio had to offer). I have many books on HB and none capture between their covers what you have managed to do within the pages of YOWP. I appreciate your efforts immensely and wish you continued sucess with these great blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the information.๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿค“๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡พ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฌ

    ReplyDelete