Monday 20 March 2023

Can You Play in "Signal Ahead" Tempo?

Bugs Bunny’s in for a shock when he checks the sheet music in Rhapsody Rabbit.



What I didn’t notice until reader N. Pozega pointed it out was the comic instructions over the bars of music. “Slow Polka.” “Hurry Here.” “Goulashio” and, of course, “Dow Jonesissimo.”

Terry Lind was the background artist on this short, but I don’t know if she drew the sheet music.

The official release date was November 9, 1946, but it played at the RKO Orpheum in Davenport, Iowa on Thursday, Oct. 24th (with Rosalind Russell in Sister Kenny).

2 comments:

  1. Tic-Tac-Toe game is a nice touch as well. In the never-ending wrangle over which is better, for me this one always has had virtually unlimited re-watching potential, while Cat Concerto, which I don't think is a bad cartoon in any way, and which I just now played to see if my reaction had changed, doesn't give me any want-to-see-it-again urges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The technical term used by musicians to describe sheet music densely packed with tiny little rapid notes is "flyshit". Franz Liszt was a master of flyshit, and his son-in-law Richard Wagner wasn't any slouch either. In "The Ride of the Valkyries", the upper strings and woodwinds have page after page of flyshit while the brass go to town with the "Kill da wabbit" leitmotif.

    ReplyDelete