Wednesday 17 February 2021

Flip

America and Johnny Carson may have discovered Flip Wilson when he appeared on the Tonight Show in 1965 but, as is usually the case, he had been around before then.

In the late 1950s, he was on stage at clubs in Florida where patrons may have been more interested in the advertised exotic dancers. The future Grammy winner had released a comedy album on Imperial Records in 1961 and was emceeing (and doing an act) at the Apollo in Harlem and other black clubs in the central and eastern U.S.

At the height of his career, his TV variety show was hugely popular and racked up 11 Emmy nominations. And then he just faded away, eventually dying of cancer at age 64.

Let’s look back at when his career was taking off at the clubs, as reported by the black press. Both these stories are from 1963. The first is from the Chicago Defender, February 27th.

New Comic Has Flip Tongue, Fly Style
By BOB HUNTER

An up-and-coming (career wise) new comic with a flip tongue and a fly delivery is now starring in a giant rock n’ roll package at the Regal Theater, 47th and S. Parkway. His name—“Flip” Wilson.
The term “new” is used because Flip is just beginning to gain wide-spread fame. Actually, he’s been in the game for eight years or more. Most of that time he was busy picking up the rudiments of his trade.
Now 30 years of age and a settled family, Flip wants the world to know that he intends to stay on the scene a long, long time.
BERT WILLIAMS
How big does he hope to get? “As big as Bert Williams was.” How does he plan to get there? “By telling any kind of jokes that will make people laugh.”
To make people laugh is all he ever wanted to do. “I’ve always wanted to be a comic,” he says. “No other profession entered my mind.”
When did he become a funnyman? “Back in 1953, when I was in the Air Force. The guys thought I was quite a cut-up, so they suggested that I go on stage. I did.” Flip is part of a Regal bill that includes Chuck Jackson, The Drifters, The Shirelles, LaVern Baker, Don Gardner and Dee Dee Ford and many, many more, all backed by Red Saunders’ wailing big band.
BIRDLAND CONTRACT
Wilson has just finished a gig at Birdland in New York City, where he starred with Cannonball Adderley and Thelonious Monk. He’ll be in Chicago for a week, then he returns to New York and the “Living Room.” That engagement will be followed by another stint at Birdland, the most famous jazz house in the world.
Flip won’t say so himself, but he’s the first comic to ever play Birdland on a contract basis. His pact with the club is good for all of 1962, and calls for him to work there six times during the year.
Wilson, who writes about 20 per cent of his own material, has no set routine. “I just go out there and fire away.” However, before he goes “out there” to fire away, he sits among the audience to “feel” the mood.
“Then,” he says, “when I go on stage, the first joke is for them, but the rest are all mine.”
The Jersey City, New Jersey born comic has five brothers and six sisters, plus a mother. Is his father dead? “No, he’s still alive, I guess.”
Switching the conversation to another subject, Wilson revealed that he steers clear of most racial jokes because “they are very touchy.” He believes that people will laugh at them for a while, “but them they become sensitive.”
Some comics have trouble controlling hecklers, but not our star. He has a plan which never fails. “There are hecklers in every audience,” he said, “but if you go out front with a forceful air about yourself they are wary and won’t attack. When one does—I shoot him down, but good.”
Wilson was working in San Francisco hotel as a bell hop when he made up his mind to root-hog-or-die as a comic.
FIRST TIME OUT
“They were having a show at the time,” he said. “But something was wrong. I suggested that a drunk stagger onto the stage. So they said, ‘OK, you’re the drunk’.”
“Anyhow, I went out there. The place was so quiet you could hear a feather floating onto the floor. Understandably I was quiet nervous. Yet somehow I managed to open my mouth. The place broke up. I’ve been making people laugh ever since.” And then he adds, “For pay, that is.”
Like most performers, Flip had to gain confidence in himself. “For two years after I got started, I was always afraid that one day I’d walk out on the stage and nothing would come out. But it still has, and still is.”
Wilson’s real first name is Clerow, but he never uses it. “Isn’t that some tag,” says the star. “I would much rather use Flip than that.”
HELPING HAND
Not too many know it, but Chuck “Tell Him I’m Not Home” Jackson is the big reason for Flip’s amazing rise to the top in the last 18 months. Chuck caught Wilson’s act and liked it so much, he introduced Flip to his managers, Julie and Roy Rifkind.
“To me, there isn’t anyone in show business today, as far as I’m concerned, who is greater a person than Chuck Jackson,” Wilson said. “He told me to come to New York and if his managers couldn’t do anything for me right away he’d pay me $10 a day as long as I was there, and then if I decided to return home, he’d buy the plane ticket. I’ll never forget him, ever.”
Flip’s career has really been sky-rocketing as of late. He has appeared on stage with some of the most renown[ed] jazz and rock ‘n roll artists in the world. They include Ray Charles, Miles Davis, Count Basie, Sam Cooke, Gloria Lynne and many others.
This past season he appeared on the Broadway stage in a production of “Old Bucks and New Wings,” co-starring with the hightly regarded vaudeville team of Smith and Dale. Wilson received great reviews from the critics of New York’s leading newspapers.
FIRST ALBUM
He also has recorded his first comedy album. It’s called “Flippin” and it’s on Imperial Records.
He has scored his greatest success with “preacher” jokes. In the beginning, that’s all he used, but now mixes them up with other material. However, some people still refer to him as “Rev.” Wilson. “They say I look like a preacher, too,” he said.
Wilson’s wife’s name is Blondell. They have three children: Michele, 7, David, 3, and Kevin, 1. “Oh, yes,” he says with a smile. “My wife and I have been married seven years.”
Flip Wilson is a very funny man.


Now a story from the New Amsterdam News of April 13th. We learn about typing prowess.

Comedian “Flip” Wilson Wanted To Be A Teacher
By LES MATTHEWS

“I wanted to be a teacher, specializing in English,” clean shaven comedian, “Flip” Wilson, told this reporter after completing a week at the Apollo Theatre. “I wanted to be a performer, too. Now I’m happy in my chosen vocation,” he said.
“Flip” Wilson who [sic] was born in Jersey City, N.J., and christened Clerow by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Wilson.
He confessed: “I didn’t know the late mayor Frank Hague, but I heard and read a lot about him. I have six sisters, Mart, Doris, Betty, Constance, Lorraine and Eleanor. Wait a minute, I also have five brothers, Lemuel, Vernon, Clifford, William, and Bernard. Can you imagine the fun we had at dinner time?”
No Dancing
“Appearing on the stage is thrilling and a challenge,” continued Flip. “You see I don’t dance, sing or mimic and I have to keep my audience interested and happy. I’m unable to rest during my act with a dance or song. I must have material and improvise others,” the five-foot six comedian said. “I work on new material in the evenings. I don’t allow anything to distract my attention, radio or television.”
“I spend a great deal of time reading, books, magazines, or newspapers. I also spend time with my family. My wife, Blonel, and three youngsters, Michelle, 7; David, 3, and Kevin, 1 at home in Philadelphia when I’m not traveling. I keep on the run.”
In Miami
“I played in Miami for almost four years and I was also fortunate to appear in Chicago several times. During my visit to Chicago I appeared on television and radio shows. I will appear at the Shell House on Long Island and return to the Birdland CafĂ© on Broadway.”
“Flip,” a United States Air Force veteran who was stationed in the Pacific Theater speaks distinctly. He’s really funny.
An excellent bowler with an average of 175, “Flip” is also an excellent typist. He says he drinks moderately and plays a game of cards whenever he can get an interested group together. An excellent listener, according to his manager, Roy Rifkind, “He can stay in a room for hours without saying a word.”


In 1965, Flip was still emceeing and playing with black acts but things were changing. Ads for the hungry i in San Francisco in October 1965 call him “Johnny Carson’s Comedy Find” (though the Examiner called his routine a “monotonous, hesitant, and tasteless string of bad jokes,” including puns about American Indians). Carson put him on in August then two times thereafter in ’65. He hit the Playboy Club circuit. He appeared in Carnegie Hall in November. In summer of ’66, he was a regular on the Kraft Music Hall. If Flip wasn’t on his way before, he was now.

2 comments:

  1. Back when a lot of us still received " TV Guide " via the mail, there was an article and interview in the late seventies with Flip saying that he was stepping down to " Spend more time with my family ". After that, he pretty much faded away, resurfacing every now and then. My earliest memories of Flip's appearances were on " Laugh In ", then " The Flip Wilson Show ". That show, was the talk of a lot of Junior High students at the time. I remember my classmates talking about what " Geraldine " said the night before, and folks doing their imitations of George Carlin's " Hippy Dippy Weatherman ". He was on fire during those years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Flip Wilson specials that Corny Cole did will never fail to impress me. It's about the trippiest looking thing I've ever seen! Now if only someone had a copy of Ken Mundie's Fat Albert special...

    ReplyDelete