Sunday 23 December 2018

Generous Jack

When you think of the generosity of Christmas-time, you naturally think of a guy who locked all his money in a steel box underground, guarded by an old man and alligators in a moat.

Mind you, the guy was really two guys. There was Jack Benny, the radio and TV character who wouldn’t spend a dime if he could avoid it, and Jack Benny, the real life radio and TV star who was a pleasant and giving man.

Syndicated columnist Margaret McManus chatted with Jack and her column was published just days before Christmas 1960. The column has nothing to do with Christmas. McManus simply used the season of giving as a jumping off point, kind of like I’ve just done, talking about a variety of things, including money, comedy’s new talents and his work on television.

Jack Benny, Gentle Man Of Kind, Generous Spirit
By MARGARET McMANUS

NEW YORK—The week before Christmas is the right time of year for a visit with Jack Benny. He is a kind man, and a gentle man, no matter whether you spell this as one word, or two.
He has had success beyond most men's dreams; he has had troubles, as do all men. From his vantage point at the top of the ladder, he has had a good look at the panorama of human weaknesses and human glory in the worldly battle, yet he has not lost his instinctive generosity of spirit and good will.
Jack Benny, who has made millions of dollars on his reputation as a penny-pinching skinflint, will actually not even discuss the subject of money, with either sponsors or networks.
As a matter of fact, he is almost the only one of the top echelon CBS television stars who, in the final stages of contract negotiations, does not sit down with the lawyers and accountants and agents, and participate, at least in some degree, in the final bickerings.
Says He's Terrible Businessman
"I will not get into the money business," said Benny. "I never have and I never will. In the first place, I'd louse it up. I'm a terrible businessman. I have enough trouble with the jokes, without getting into the other side."
However, there are stars who seem to enjoy the battle of the dollar. It is rumored, for instance, that Jackie Gleason is an artist in this aspect of his business. And a prominent newscaster once said to me:
“I don't want an agent to negotiate for me. There's nothing I like better than sitting down with those guys and getting an extra buck out of them.”
Jack Benny dislikes the very mention of negotiations.
"I hate business," he said. “I don’t understand it. If you don't swim, you stay out of the water."
His Timing Slow and Easy
The comedian was in his suite at the Sherry Netherlands here. It was close to noon on this blustery winter's day and he was about to walk to the Lambs Club for lunch. But he seemed in no hurry. Although he is always in constant motion, he never appears frantic or breathless or pushed for time. In action, as in speech, his timing is slow and easy.
Perhaps this perspective, this sense of balance and timing, is somewhat responsible for the security which contributes to Benny's generosity of spirit. A frightened man is wary and suspicious. He dare not help a possible competitor.
Jack Benny not only laughs out loud and in public at other comedians. He praises them in print and helps them in many practical ways. Over and again, he has said he thinks Joey Bishop is the brightest of the newer-comers and Bishop, in turn, says nobody has helped him more in his career than Benny.
Benny is also a fan of Bob Newhart and of Nichols and May.
“If you can use the word ‘genius’ to apply to a performer, I think Nichols and May are geniuses," he said. “I’ve been to the theater three times since I’ve been in New York, twice to see Nichols and May. What a future they have.”
Happy With New Schedule
Now on regularly every week, 9:30 P.M. Sundays, CBS-TV, Benny said he is satisfied and happy with his new schedule.
"Nobody likes to work as much as I do,” he said. “I guess Bob Hope and I are the most complete hams of all time. Of course, I believe it's better to be on every week. If sometimes you have to do a fair show instead of a great show it's still better to be on every week. It cements the watching habit."
Benny said he could never dream of retiring, not even when he's 40, not even to have the time to spend playing his violin all day, every day. Anyway, he couldn’t afford it.
"Mary and I spend too much money,” he said. “We go overboard. If I retired, I’m sure we couldn't live on the scale we do now. I don't know which is worse, spending too much money, or spending too little. Of the two evils, I guess I'd rather spend too much."
On[e] Hour Special in February
He may as well keep on spending because obviously he is going to keep on working. Besides his weekly Sunday show, Benny will star as the host of a one-hour special on Thursday, February 9, NBC-TV.
It is a musical variety program called “Remember How Great,” highlighting the all-time popular hit songs of the past few decades and featuring Juliet Prowse, Connie Francis, Andy Williams, and Harry James. The sponsor is the American Tobacco Company which was Benny's sponsor for so many years on the radio.
“I really didn't want to do this one,” he said. “It’s a lot to take on with the weekly show, but I couldn’t refuse my old sponsor. It’s the first time in all these years they ever asked me for a favor. Not that they aren’t paying me a lot of money, but it’s still a favor and I couldn’t say no to them.” Saying yes comes easier to the generous than saying no.

No comments:

Post a Comment