Friday 28 October 2022

Painting With Crashcup

The Alvin Show would have been great—without Alvin. I can do without a self-centered jerkish character. And I can do without screechy renditions of songs that were ancient in 1961, when the show was produced.

But one part of the show was worth watching—the segment with Clyde Crashcup, the inventor of things that had already been invented. Created by Format Films along with Crashcup was Leonardo, his faithful assistant. Leonardo was childlike, sensitive (played the cello and harp) and loyal to his boss. He also knew he was in a cartoon, and reacted to what was happening by looking at the audience.



He was a pantomime character, which can be deadly in limited animation. He only spoke by whispering.



He was never afraid to express himself. When Crashcup would say he invented something and held up something else, Leonardo would roll his eyes. He’d look with horror when he knew Crashcup’s pending demonstration was going to fail. He also got bored with Crashcup’s endless self-congratulation by yawning, or looking bored.



Format engaged in money-saving techniques on the segments, such as cutting way to a held cel of Leonardo while Crashcup yacked off-screen, cycles (including turning drawings around and painting them on the other side) and using maybe the same ten cues. Here’s something you don’t see often in the series—a stretch in-between.



There was a bit of a Laurel and Hardy relationship between the two. In this sequence of the “Do it Yourself” segment, Leonardo accidentally paints Clyde’s face (Crashcup rather stupidly opens a door while Leonardo is painting it). The Hardy-like retaliation follows. Crashcup paints his nose with a roller.



Leonardo checks his nose for paint, then reaches down to do the most logical thing to end the scene.



One fact I didn’t know as a kid is Crashcup is a caricature of Stephen Bosustow, the somewhat-over-his-head owner of UPA. In the late ‘50s, Herb Klynn and a bunch of others finally tired of Bosustow and quit to form Format Films—which just happened to make The Alvin Show. I appreciate the subversion.

9 comments:

  1. I'll stand with you on this. Clyde Crashcup and Leonardo amuse me, but I can't stand the chipmunks. I never liked their cartoons and, as for their music, I'll tolerate one playing of "The Chipmunk Song" every holiday season, but that's it. God save us from the likes of Alvin and the Chipmunks performing musical gems like "Old McDonald Cha Cha Cha."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would that the Bagdasarians follow up on remastering the rest of The Alvin Show as they did for the three episodes on that gorgeous Blu-ray issued seven (!) years ago. Start a crowdfunding campaign if necessary--I and I'm sure many others will be happy to contribute*. And, Alvin, I think you're funny, anyway.

    *Ditto for the Clampett family and Beany and Cecil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for putting a kind word in for my chipmunk (orig.1960s version, anyhow, as my "I loved both parts"(Alvin etc. and Clyde) ought to insiuate, though I admnit they are an accquired taste and I had for a while in the 60s an aversion to that sound !LOL

      Delete
  3. Notice any resemblance between Clyde Crashcup and Professor Small (of the 1943 Columbia cartoon)? Coincidence, certainly. Incidentally, I've been told that the young Bagdasarians were brought up to believe that those chipmunks were real. Personally, my favorite part of "The Alvin Show" was the music (even though it overdid the strings at times), such as the jaunty little tune that accompanied Crashcup "inventing" something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonder how much of an influence Leonardo was on Teller (y'know, Penn Jillette's pal)? Clyde was modeled, at least vocally, on Richard Haydn - I heard that they wanted Haydn to do his voice, but he was unavailable (or unaffordable) so Shep Menken was hired to imitate him.
    Clyde had his own comic book - by no less than John Stanley. https://stanleystories.blogspot.com/2011/12/self-absorbed-scientist-invents.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard that. Haydn couldn't have been doing anything at the time.
      Menken was doing the Haydn voice on radio spots for Columbia phonographs just before then.

      Delete
  5. Loved and love both parts. tHE 1980s Ruby-Spears and MWS and Dic versions made Alvin a nicey two shooes., Would rather watch the original. And rnigma, yes, Clyde was modelled on RIchard Haydn,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Above means I loved both parent section and "Clyde" backup to the show,

      Delete
  6. Someone once put all of the Clyde Crashcups on VHS and sold them - I have a set. Now if I could just transfer them to DVD or blu-ray I'd be in heaven!
    My favorite is Clyde Crashcup invents Self-Preservation. Clyde throws a boomerang and ducks. The boomarang sails away, Clyde starts to speak again and suddenly the boomerang returns and pastes Clyde in the mouth - It looks like he has a big red smile! Leonardo looks up at Clyde, and smiles back! Clyde starts to mumble incoherently for Leonardo to remove the boomerang, but all Leonardo toes it turn it upside-down so Clyde looks like he has a huge angry frown, so Leonardo throws his hands to the sides of his head "Oh my gosh!" expression! Gets me every time, especially Leonardo's smile at Clyde.

    ReplyDelete