Tuesday 8 February 2022

Fern Fan Dance

Nobody in Hicksville knows who famous hotel guest Miss Glory is, including Abner the bellhop.

He approaches a matron and asks her if she’s Miss Glory. She snootily ignores him but then finds that her dress has been torn off because he’s standing on it. Fortunately, some ferns are close at hand.



Now the matron turns into a fan dancer.



Spotlight, please.



She alternates between enjoying her dance and being stiff and upper-crust.



Her undergarment has no patch.



Now it does.



She suddenly shocks herself with the realises she’s fan dancing. She quickly turns coy to end the scene.



Tex Avery directs this art moderne short, an unusual pick for Leon Schlesinger considering Tex was new at the studio and this is far from his usual gag style. Despite that, it’s got some humour and a tidy little plot, though the designs are the stars in this cartoon.

Bob Clampett, Chuck Jones, Virgil Ross and Sid Sutherland are the animators, with Bobe Cannon and Cecil Surry assisting.

6 comments:

  1. I believe this is Bob Clampett's animation, Yowp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on one of my " Looney Toons " collection DVDs. Growing up, this was in heavy rotation in the area where I lived. I saw it a lot during the early years of " Cartoon Network ", then like so many of the early shorts, just kind of faded away. It *does* have some good gags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the bellhop's name was Abner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I just noticed what I wrote. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  4. Avery, in Adamson's book, dismissed the cartoon, but I've always enjoyed it, and it shows how sharp a director Avery was, even very early in his tenure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered if Avery thought the graphics and music overwhelmed the gags. To me, it's a good mix. It's a fine cartoon.

      Delete