Sunday 5 July 2020

He Saw the Other Notre Dame

What better way to get free publicity for your season-opening show than a newspaper article?

Jack Benny returned to the airwaves after the summer break in 1937 on October 3rd, the same day this little story appeared in the Pittsburgh Press. It’s supposedly written by Mary Livingstone, but as it’s in character, my guess is someone in the NBC publicity was responsible for it (note the mention of the Red Network).

Jack and the gang did kibbitz about their vacations. It’s not the strongest show. No wonder Jack wanted to try something different with the “Blue Fairy” debut show several seasons later.

By the way, if you’d like to read about the season, check out Bill Cairns’ site. Unfortunately, there aren’t reviews for all the shows, including this one, as they weren’t available on-line when the site was put up.

Mary Pokes Fun at Jack
Looked for Irish Stadium in Good Old Paree

By MARY LIVINGSTONE

That old wheeze about travel broadening one certainly holds true in the case of my husband, Jack Benny. His tailor is working day and night now letting out all of his suits.
But we really had a marvelous vacation in Europe, in spite of the fact that I never could succeed in dragging Jack past those Parisian sidewalk cafes. He said they reminded him so much of New York.
We didn't arrive in London in time for the coronation and I really was quite disappointed. That is, I was until we saw a newsreel of the affair the third time Jack took me to see his picture, "Artists and Models." Maybe we didn't miss so much, after all.
I was really proud of Jack when he took me to see Notre Dame in Paris. But my illusions were shattered when he asked the guide where the stadium was.
In Rome we went to see Nero's shrine. As we stood before the tomb of the emperor, Jack couldn't resist a quip. Although he tried to look serious, he remarked: "Poor Nero! I wonder if he could have played The Bee as well as I can?"
Coming home on the boat, a steward asked Jack if he wanted to take a chance on the ship's pool. "Sure," Jack replied, "but how can I get the darn thing home if I win it?"
But, why go on? Just tune in over the NBC "red" network Sunday nights and you'll hear all about the trip. That is, starting tonight. I haven't the slightest doubt that Jack will find a way to work most of the gags into the script. He better get them in quick, because I'm working on a new Labor Day poem for Christmas. After all, I wasn't on the air Labor Day, but I will be on Christmas, if our sponsor doesn't get wise to Jack's alleged humor before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment