Thursday 1 October 2015

That Doesn't Look Like Ida

Some shapely-legged chorines dance in a Western bar to “Ida (Sweet As Apple Cider)” in the Tom and Jerry cartoon In the Bag (1932). Except they aren’t chorines at all. They turn out to be twin cowpokes.



The dance movements are well defined in this sequence, but the arms whip around like rubber bands. There’s no skeletal structure (a Disney cartoon it ain’t).

The title refers to a bag of money Tom and Jerry get for capturing a desperado. It turns out they don’t get either.

I wish I knew more about Gene Rodemich’s score for this cartoon. Once the bad guy makes his escape from the saloon to when Tom rides into the forest, you might recognise the great 1906 hit “Cheyenne” which Carl Stalling tossed into a bunch of Warner Bros. cartoons. Play the version by Billy Murray below.

3 comments:

  1. I've NEVER known the title of this song! Even though I have quite a few Billy Murray records in my collection, I've never heard this one. All I knew about it is that Carl Stalling used it whenever some Western-type scene or gag came up in a WB cartoon. Chuck Jones said that Carl had a "photographic memory" for old pop tunes like these, some going back fifty or sixty years. Here's a perfect example of that memory at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice clean version is here, Pils. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mE5tFSfc48
      Harry Williams and Egbert Van Alstyne had another similar tune called Navajo that was in "Bugs Bunny Rides Again."

      Delete
  2. I had thought, until now, that the song was "I'm a cowboy, yessir I am", strictly from the time Daffy Duck sings it (while riding Porky Pig, horseyback) in Yankee Doodle Daffy
    https://youtu.be/Ooi5WW23jgM?t=4m4s

    ReplyDelete