Monday 15 February 2016

I'm Forever Breaking Bubbles

Hugh Harman and Rudy Ising’s debut cartoon for Warner Bros., Sinkin’ in the Bathtub (1930), isn’t as good as some of the Oswald cartoons they worked on for Walt Disney at Universal a few years earlier, and it’s certainly tamer than what the Fleischer studio was making in New York. But it has its moments. I like the balletic bathtub and the cow-blocking-railway-tracks gag reused from Oswald’s Trolley Troubles (1927).

Here’s Honey dancing on (and breaking) bubbles in mid-air to the tune I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles.



And here’s the rotating rump routine used at a bunch of studios.



Finally, Honey lands on the ground, breaks the last bubble and it’s on to the next scene.



Friz Freleng gets the sole animation credit but I can’t help but wonder if Max Maxwell and Ham Hamilton worked on this as well.

Thanks to Steve Carras for proof-reading one of my "did I really write that?" lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment