Thursday 24 January 2013

Retrieving Larrimore



“Easy, Rover. That’s no way to retrieve a duck,” says Daffy to Larrimore the Dog in “To Duck or Not to Duck” (1943). “Look!” And Daffy then flips under him and grabs the dog’s mid-section (which sags under the weight) by the beak. Here are a few of the drawings.



Then Daffy throws him to the ground. A few more drawings. Fine rubbery animation here.



Chuck Jones made some fine Daffy cartoons in the ‘40s before he changed the duck’s personality to a bitter fall-guy, er, fall-duck. I like the old Daffy better. Tedd Pierce wrote the story.

There’s some interesting smear animation in this cartoon from Bobe Cannon, who gets the only animation credit.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't that Charlie Dog? In one cartoon, when Bugs is boxing a huge prize fighter, Charlie says that something's funny about the fight, "Or my name's not Larrimore... And it isn't!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's not Charlie Dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I love the old Daffy too. The new Daffy to me is like the modern Bugs Bunny, which made me not like Bugs Bunny until I started watching the old cartoons and I loved him.

    ReplyDelete