Friday, 2 October 2026

Painted Pun

Daffy Duck's being chased by Little Beaver in The Daffy Duckaroo. The pun in this scene is a groaner, the kind that might have been thought up by Bugs Hardaway, or Tex Avery's unit.



Pan to the right. Daffy and the Beav run through the scene to the sound of J.S. Zamecnik's "In the Stirrups" (aka "Western Scene"). The initial sign proved to be correct.



Mind you, if Avery and Rich Hogan or Heck Allen pulled this one, there would be a sign or someone putting down the gag.

The ending to this one is so bizarre, it's in Screen Gems territory. A tribe of American Indians rides on horseback toward Daffy and his burro, who hid under their travel trailer. Out of nowhere, an Indian who had never been part of the cartoon walks carrying a stack of tires that had been taken off the trailer (unseen because of dust clouds that obscure the scene). "No fit-um putt-putt," says the native (with the voice of Chuck Jones' Martian), who rides off on motor scooter with no wheels and into the distance. McCabe seems to have been stuck inserting wartime propaganda or messages into his cartoons, incongruous to the plot or not. That's how this one ends. Rubber shortage gag.



It may have been patriotic, but it had absolutely nothing to do with the cartoon.

Cal Dalton is the credited animator, but Izzy Ellis, Vive Risto and Jack Carey handled scenes as well.

The official release date of the cartoon was Oct. 24, 1942. Daily Variety reported on Nov. 12 McCabe had been inducted into the First Motion Picture Unit at "Fort Roach."

You know how Hugh Harman and Rudy Ising had different characters emerge from behind the drum to say "So long, folks!" I wish the studio had carried on doing that on the Looney Tunes. I would have liked to have seen Daffy (or maybe Little Beaver) burst out. Instead...

2 comments:

  1. Bugs bursted out of the drum once and casually stated, just after munching on a carrot, "and that's the end". I think it would have been humorous to see Daffy, Elmer, or some other characters but sparingly. I think making Porky the official outro character was a wise move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered what that end gag was about. I thought my mind had wandered and I missed something.

    ReplyDelete