Thursday, 11 August 2016

Tex Avery, Literally

The great Tex Avery and his gagman Rich Hogan tested out the concept of “Symphony in Slang” a little earlier in the MGM cartoon “The Cuckoo Clock” (released in 1950). They take something figurative and visualise it literally. Some of these are better than others; I especially like the “Things” sign; Avery was the king of helpful cartoon signs.

There was a ringing in my ears...



I kept seeing things...



My eyes grew as big as saucers...



I couldn’t keep a thing on my stomach...



I didn’t know whether I was coming or going...



I was down in the dumps...



I kept blowing my top...



I felt myself going to pieces...



I had to pull myself together...



Notice the cat has green irises. Tom at MGM had coloured irises, too, until the studio decided to save money in the ‘50s.

Grant Simmons, Mike Lah and Walt Clinton are the credited animators, with Daws Butler as the uncredited cat/narrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment